Hey friends! Just checking in! I know that by now everyone is settling in to the “stay at home order”. I feel like by the time we are adjusted things, it will change again. Isn’t that the story of our lives? I do hope you are well and staying healthy holistically. Because its not just mental, physical or emotional health, its the combination of all of them. Just remember….
I thought I would do a blog about things that bring me the most comfort at home since I recently made some Spring decor changes. To check them out see my Spring Home Tour here.
Top 5 things bringing me current comfort…
- Candles: It’s no secret that I love love love candles. I have found that smell brings a sense of warmth to any space. If don’t have candles I say give it a try. They are also something that you can still grab while on quarantine as they are in essential stores aisles of your local grocer, Walmart, Aldis, or Target. I have however always maintained full stock of candles. I typically burn mine for a hour or so in both the morning and night. It helps start the day and clears the odor from cooking dinner in the evening. Scent changes moods so give it a try. Even open the windows and let some breeze in.
- Fresh flowers/greenery: While you can buy some in your grocery store, you can also snip some from around the neighborhood. This is something I do during my walks. And lets face it, we are all doing a lot of walking these days keep your eyes open and cut fresh branches and flowers.
- Puzzles/Word Searches/Coloring: Yes all of those are bringing me so much comfort these days. I already have a adult coloring book but there are also some great free print outs online if you have a computer. There is something soothing about coloring. If you have little ones join them.
Here are some great links with free downloadable coloring sheets:
Now I’ve always loved puzzles but apparently its a trending item currently and you can’t find them in most stores. So I have started to play them on my tablet. I solve for so about 15 minutes and then hand it off to my other half and we go back/forth. It’s fun and the free app we use is Jigsaw Puzzle. They have a variety of free puzzles to choose from and passes the time. If I’m going to spend time on screen I like having to logically think through puzzles. Great for kids too. You can even choose the puzzle piece count.
4. Cooking:The other thing I’m finding comfort in is cooking. Usually it feels like a chore but with time on my hand I feel like I can get a little creative and try something new. I’m still working from home so I’m not doing meals that take hours but trying things I usually wouldn’t has been nice. So I’ve been trying new recipes for the first time in a long time. I also should stress that I don’t like complicated meals so everything I make can be made in a hour or less! Lately we have been doing a lot of vegetarian meals cause we not as active as we used to be so lighter meals balance our diet and physical activity. Some quick easy meals I’ve made:
- Roasted Veggies: If you have not had Parmesan Roasted cauliflower and zucchini then you need to…like ASAP. I literally wash and cut up the veggies, toss them in olive oil. Then I coat them in Grated Parmesan cheese, Pepper, Season Salt and Garlic Salt. I place them in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes then sprinkled shredded Italian mix cheese and place in over for 5 more minutes as it melts. Then done!
- Cabbage and Turkey Sausage: Chop, boil and season the cabbage. Serve in a bowl topped with grilled smoked turkey sausage!
- Cauliflower Rice, Spinach & Mushrooms: That’s exactly it! Saute in a pan, season and serve! You can also choose to add soy sauce or Thai chili sauce for a kick!
- Veggie Pizza: This is not a new recipe for most of us. But the reason I share this is because you can literally have everyone pick there fresh toppings. I cheat and just buy a cheese pizza then chop up lots of veggies for everyone to pick there favorites. I usually include: mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, bell pepper, jalapenos and broccoli. Have a buffet of ingredients and get everyone involved on the kitchen action.
- Kale Salad: Jazz up your salad! A lunch time favorite I have been making lately is this sweet salad and the ingredients I toss in are: Kale, cabbage, spinach apples, strawberries, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, sunflowers seeds and poppy dressing. Delicious! Light and fresh great for lunch time.
- Stuffed avocados: I live in California so we looooovvvveeee our avocados! I get them no yet ripened and place them in my pantry for a few days until they are ready. I then stuff them tomatoes, cilantro, and feta. Topped with salt, pepper and lemon juice. From there just scoop it out for a delicious snack!
5. Organization for Relaxation: The last thing I find comfort in, in my home is order. Being able to have a clean and clutter free home has made home isolation better. If you find yourself restless and unable to focus, take a seat and look around. Evaluate what is making you uncomfortable. Reorganizing allows you to clear up room and storage things properly until you can donate or get rid of items. Now if you have kids this is naturally more challenging, so I encourage you to create a space for them. They have a entire room to fuss and messy whatever they want. You in turn should still have a sanctuary that you can retreat to and take a breather. For you can’t take care of others if you can’t take care of yourself.
After you have been able to clear you space of clutter and things that don’t serve you purpose, leave time for thought provoking activities such as reading, journaling, meditating, yoga or goal setting. You can even enjoy some self reflection with a bath or walk. GET OUTSIDE. Even if its for a 15 minute walk daily. Take the kids with you! If you need some great journal prompts or short thought provoking articles check out Mindful Living. There has never been a better time to read not just books, but blogs, articles, and lifestyle websites. Read something out of your norm and element. For me it has been comforting to find something new while stuck in the house.
Another thing I have been enjoying in my home is chill and relaxing instrumental music. It sets the vibe and I play it on the TV so I’m not tempted to turn on TV shows, movies, or any streaming platforms. Also to keep my brain stimulated I listen to podcasts. If you don’t listen to them, there has never been a better time. If you do listen them and are burnt out go seek some new and different ones. There’s something for everyone!
Well that’s it, those are the 5 things I’m finding comfort in and hope you try some of these ideas out for your home, self or family. Can you sit down and think of the 5 things you enjoy and find most comfort in your home currently? If not its time to make some changes!
Until next time friends! Stay safe and well. Let me know what’s bringing comfort to your home in the comments.